- How to Join
- Transferring from another Junior League
- JLW Membership as a New Member, Active, or Sustainer
With more than 100 years of service, the Junior League of Washington (JLW) provides trained volunteers, develops the potential of women, and improves the community in the greater Washington, DC, area. All women are encouraged to join regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin, but must meet the below criteria by the time of the application deadline (March 2017).
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a resident within the greater Washington, DC, area
- Must have a JLW member in good standing serve as a sponsor
Joining the Junior League of Washington (JLW) as a New Member begins with becoming familiar with the League. Each fall, the JLW offers informal "Getting to Know the JLW" Open House events that provide an opportunity for women to meet current members and learn more about membership requirements and expectations. These annual Open House events are optional, and have already happened for the 2016-2017 Application period. If you are already familiar with membership in JLW, you may submit the online Applicant Interest Form without attending an Open House. These Open Houses have already occurred this year, and the Applicant Interest Form Deadline has now passed.
After the Applicant Interest Form has been submitted, the forms are reviewed by members of the JLW Member Recruitment Committee and all women who meet the requirements set forth within the Form will be notified and invited to attend a mandatory JLW Recruitment Orientation Session. Invitations to attend a JLW Recruitment Orientation Sessions go out shortly after the Applicant Interest Forms are submitted.
Applicants will attend a JLW Recruitment Orientation Session, and then submit their final Application by March 6, 2017 by 11:59pm. After all Applications have been reviewed, the women will be placed into a lottery.The application process for this year is currently closed; please visit our website in August for more details about next year. In the meantime, should you have any questions, please email our Member Recruitment committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the recruitment process and timeline, visit how to join the JLW.
Already a Member of the Junior League? We welcome all Transfer Members and would love to have you be a part of the Junior League of Washington (JLW). You must first notify the League to which you currently belong that you would like to transfer to JLW. Your current League will begin the necessary paperwork to initiate the smooth transition into our League. Once your transfer is initiated by your current League, JLW will contact you by email with the necessary steps to finalize your transfer.
- Actives transferring into JLW have the opportunity to spend their first placement year as members of the Transfer-In Program and will be introduced to JLW and the DC metro area by the Transfer Committee. As a Transfer Active, you will have access to the “members only” portion of this website where you will find the requirements you need to complete to ensure successful transition into the Junior League of Washington. At your Transfer Orientation, through your Advisor, and on the Transfer Committee section of the website, you will learn about the exciting activities planned for you throughout the year to meet other members and get involved in the Washington community. If you are considering transferring to JLW or are a Transfer Active Member with questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Sustainers transferring into JLW are introduced to our League by the Sustainer Committee. Sustainer transfers also have access to our members only website which includes the Sustainer calendar and group share information space that includes information about the various Sustainer clubs and activities. Sustainers transferring into JLW are invited to join the Sustainer Transfer group. For more information, please contact the current Sustainer Committee Chair Myra Arnold and New Sustainers and Transfers Coordinator Jenna Frost.
New MembersThe Junior League of Washington (JLW) annually welcomes 250 to 300 new members into our family. We are proud of our diversity, attracting hundreds of women of differing racial, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds, who are committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
New Members must meet requirements during their provisional year in JLW in order to attain Active Member status. All requirements must be completed within the New Member year, which begins in early September and continues until mid-to-late May. We also hold a variety of optional, social events throughout the year to help you meet other members of the League. Not yet a New Member but interested in joining? Click here.
Active MembersActive Members are those women who, having successfully completed the New Member year and course, are now trained volunteers, working in the community, helping to raise and disburse funds back to the community or helping with internal functions and organization of the league.
Active Members are required to serve on one committee and have the opportunity to serve on a wide range of JLW committees and projects. Additionally, they must attend two membership credit opportunities, which are designed to help develop their volunteer and leadership skills. Active members can sponsor New Members, vote and hold office.
Sustainer MembersSustainers are former Active Members who have completed at least seven years of active service. Sustainer members have no official requirements but often participate by assisting a committee or placement with their advice and experience.
Sustainers hold separate meetings and social events, and share in all of the privileges of JLW membership except voting and holding office.