Advisory BoardsThe Junior League of Washington’s Literacy Advisory Board (LAB) was created in 2006 and brings together representatives from the non-profit and commercial community and members of the JLW to seek recommendations on advancing our literacy efforts in the community.
The JLW LAB has recently considered the following issues, among others, facing the Washington, DC community:
- What do literacy-focused organizations consider to be the top literacy issues/challenges?
- What would be the most effective use of funding or volunteers to impact one literacy issue?
- What are the unmet needs for literacy?
- Lack of age-appropriate reading materials in the home,
- Lack of exposure to reading aloud, particularly among pre-school children, and
- Lack of classroom and library materials.