Welcome to the Junior League of Washington!
This is our 104th year of promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the Washington, DC, community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
Over our history, JLW has contributed millions of volunteer hours and more than $5.8 million to our community. Our trained volunteers connect with the community in a variety of ways:
- We’re proud to continue serving as the primary provider of volunteers for the Library of Congress’s National Book Festival for the 14th consecutive year.
- We distribute books to community organizations. In a typical year, we donate more than 5,000 books; during our centennial year, we delivered 100,000 books to those in need in our area.
- We provide comprehensive training for our members, including leadership training for those interested in board service, whether with JLW or on a nonprofit board.
- We recognize and celebrate the achievements of the students in our community through our annual poetry contest and scholarship program.
- We partner with more than 20 leading community organizations and donate thousands of direct service volunteer hours to them each year.
Our community partners include well-respected organizations ranging from the Folger Shakespeare Library to N Street Village to Bright Beginnings, from the National Museum of Women in the Arts to MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital to Horton’s Kids, and beyond.
We cover a lot of ground because of one reason – or, rather, more than 2,300 reasons: our talented, committed, passionate volunteers. Our trained volunteers are how we connect the dots across our organization and across DC. We’re proud to keep moving the community forward.
I hope you’ll take a moment to explore our website to learn more about the Junior League of Washington. Whether you want to learn more about our history of effecting change in DC, our current work in the community promoting child, adult, and cultural literacy, or how you can join the ranks of JLW volunteers, this website will help connect the dots for you about all that the Junior League of Washington has to offer.
Thank you for stopping by.
Elizabeth M. Keys
JLW President, 2016-2017
Photo Credit: Betsy Spruill, FotoMaven Photography